The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Turning Over a New Leaf

Flashback to...14 February 2010

The day of my first date with my last love...

I was quite nervous, as my last real date had been about two years prior and was an ultimate disaster.  Not to mention that the men in my life following that incident, I just fell into relationships with, as usual.

After having turned over a new leaf and become more like the person who I wanted to be, I was determined to not rush into anything again.  I wanted to do things right this time, make the right choices.   

And so, I developed a mantra for that afternoon, repeating it constantly aloud before leaving my apartment and throughout the entire walk to the coffee shop, as I feared I might otherwise lose my nerve...

Enjoy the process of getting to know someone.
Practice patience.
Better to get an idea of how things may work out with a guy before getting involved.
Good things come to those who wait.
Be true to myself.  I want to be strong.  I want to not be ruled by my weaknesses.
What seems good at the time isn’t always the right thing to do.
I’ve made so much progress, I don’t want to put myself back at the beginning.
I need to be my own protector.  Set limits, verbalize and enforce them because my comfort is
     most important.
I can’t please everyone.  I should start with myself.
Be strong.  Be assertive.  Know what I want, who I am, and communicate that.
If he doesn’t like the situation, then we just weren’t meant to be.  I can be selective and choose
     who complements me and fits my needs best.

2 comments:

  1. I love the mantra! In the past, I have also had a habit of rushing into relationships...getting caught up in the moment and such. I have since come to take a different approach. I am content now to slowly get to know someone and develop a friendship first, allowing the relationship to happen more naturally if that makes sense. I think this will definitely make my next relationship a healthier and happier one. Hope all is well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Keith! I hope that your new approach to love and relationships works as well!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License