The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Introduction to Scuba Diving

For the past two winters, I have attempted to enroll in a SCUBA experience class at Westfield Water Sports in Southwick, Massachusetts.  The class is offered as an introduction to SCUBA, so that individuals may get a feel for the sport and determine if it’s something that they enjoy enough and feel comfortable with, before pursuing the formal certification course.  The introductory class is only offered every first Friday of the month, and it seems that there is little interest in winter weather pool time, as oftentimes, the classes that I have signed up for have been cancelled, due to too few participants.  However, I can’t place all of the blame on others for how long it has taken for me to get into this class, since my own plans or reservations regarding cost and my level of comfort have also kept me away.
Finally, last Friday was the night.  There were enough people interested and I needed to do this for myself.  My initial interest in trying SCUBA developed as I encountered various marine biology internship postings that listed SCUBA certification as an application requirement.  I decided that the certification would make me a more attractive and qualified candidate for such positions; however, having never even been snorkeling, I figured that I should find out what SCUBA was all about.

The class began with the typical filling out of waivers and signing one’s life away.  We received an overview of the functions of the essential pieces of SCUBA equipment, and were ingrained with the three basic rules of SCUBA; breathe at all times, ascend and descend slowly, and equalize early and often.  The slow ascent and descent and frequent equalization are safety precautions, which are intended to prevent pressure from building in the lungs and ears, reducing the potential of serious injury.

We reconvened at the pool, at which SCUBA equipment was distributed and we suited up.  By this time, I was becoming somewhat anxious, as I sat on the edge of the pool, fiddling with my face mask, so that it didn’t feel like it would either constrict the blood flow to my brain or allow water to seep in.  Breathing with the mask on felt strange, as I struggled for air in its confined space.  Finally, I slid hesitantly into the warm water and was equipped with an air tank.  I found it amusing that the tank felt lighter than my frame pack often does when I’m traveling. 

After, a few more instructions and a final review of the three rules, it was time for the moment of truth.  I purged my regulator of any water that might have entered, stuck it in my mouth, and began insistently negotiating with myself to go under water.  My less logical side soon won out and I plunged my head in.  We had been told to take five breaths before resurfacing; however, mine felt more like hyperventilation, as I continued to struggle with my logical side telling me that humans can’t breathe underwater.  I quickly popped up, breaking rule number two and tried to get my wits together.  Fortunately, the second attempt was far more successful, and I gradually became more comfortable with this crazy concept. 

As a group, we slowly made our way from the shallow end to the eight foot depth at the far end of the pool, from which we commenced our free swim time.  I found the experience to be thrilling and I felt more at home in and in tune with my element, as I darted around the perimeter of the pool. 

Now, I just need to save up for the formal SCUBA certification course; perhaps, next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License