The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

U.K.'s National Rail System


If you are planning to travel on the London rail system from Heathrow Airport at some future time, I have some advice for you. 

To give you an overview, I had purchased tickets in advance online, in order to secure seats on trains of my preferred times and to save a bit of money.  However, the only option available to non-U.K. residents for claiming tickets is to pick them up at a self-service machine within certain train stations.  Heathrow is not one of these locations, but when I phoned National Rail customer service, I was told that my confirmation information would be enough to secure my ticket for my trip from the airport. 

Now, after actively using the transit system, I have learned that the London Underground and the National Rail system are two separate entities that cannot provide tickets issued by the other.  I also learned that National Rail customer service agents are quite indifferent to the problems or complaints of their customers and are unwilling to issue refunds for selling tickets under false pretenses.

As a result, I have come to the conclusion that one should either avoid buying Underground tickets through National Rail online, claim your tickets from customer service (which should be an option on the website), or just bite the bullet and pay for your tickets as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License