The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tornado Strikes

It seems so unreal.  I cannot quite grasp it.  A tornado in Western Massachusetts; it’s unheard of.  This occurrence is common in the Midwest, where they are equipped with storm cellars to cope with a hard hit, a significant time spent underground, and a developed warning system.  The residents know how to react, they know what to do, how to rebuild.  Watching the news footage made my heart skip and my stomach turn.  How could this have happened?  Familiar places in ruins, family and friends isolated, stranded without utilities by downed trees and debris, unsure what to do next.  I did not have much of a reaction to the earthquake/tsunami in Japan, most likely because it is so far away, and was too catastrophic to even begin to comprehend, just like something out of a movie.  This feels like yet another natural disaster movie, but it is right in my own backyard, making the storm and the destruction so much more real.  What can I do?  What is my responsibility?  Rebuilding will happen with or without me, and the news reports may be hyping up the the damages sustained by the hardest hit sections of cities and towns.  My home did not incur any damages, in spite of two separate tornadoes touching down on each side of the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License