The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

There are how many verbs...?


I spent this weekend immersing myself further in the nuances of Polish grammar. Upon my first introduction to verbs earlier this summer, I was quite relieved to learn that there are only three verb tenses, compared to the myriad of simple, perfect, and what have you tenses that exist in English. Yet, I soon discovered that each verb falls into one of four classes, which determine conjugated forms, based on person and number. There’s no easy way to tell to which class a verb belongs, as in any language, there are always exceptions to the rules. Also, the infinitive, or root, of the verb can undergo changes that make it look like a completely different word. Okay, I accepted that and dealt with it.

Recently, I started noticing some “discrepancies” among the web resources that I’ve been using, such as two different verbs having the exact same meaning. I expressed my frustration to my co-worker (who by chance has a degree in the Russian language) and she proceeded to explain to me all about aspect in Slavic languages. So there are three verb tenses, right? Add to that imperfective and perfective aspect, which express actions in progress or with an unknown end and actions that have been or are scheduled to be completed, respectively. This means that there are actually two words for every verb, some of which don’t even resemble each other. And, verbs that indicate motion have two imperfective forms for on-going (determinate) and frequentative (indeterminate) action. At least these still have only one perfective verb.

As a result, I passed the weekend reading up on these topics and familiarizing myself with all of the possible forms of the verbs that I have learned thus far. The next challenge will be using them properly in sentences!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License