The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Status Update


On Friday, I paid a visit to a physical therapist in Białystok.  Actually, two of them spent about an hour studying my knees and my x-ray, and guiding me through some restorative stretches and exercises.  I don’t know if my case was just that interesting, but also, one had a better understanding of English, and did much of the translating. 

They determined that both of my patellas are “naturally” rotated inwards.  (I don’t know if this is a birth defect or a result of improper usage over the years.)  This irregularity would cause extra strain on my knees from disproportionate muscle usage and improper joint movement; never mind the added pressure of hiking in the challenging conditions of the marsh. 

Both physical therapists were confident that I would heal by following a regular exercise routine, designed to shift the patellas back into place, and simply because I am young.  Yet, this process will take months, which I had already gathered from speaking with others here, who had previously suffered from knees problems.  This, combined with my relapse of pain and a more regular Aquatic Warbler breeding season, which is winding down, will prevent me from getting back to work, as I had been hoping.  Now, I’m trying to figure out my next move and how to push forward from this.

4 comments:

  1. I keep my fingers crossed for your next move. Did you try to e-mail people from ringing stations in Poland? The ones on the seaside would probably suit you best.
    Justyna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justyna. Magda has been working on getting in touch with ringing stations, so that they are less likely to ignore the English e-mails. Seaside would be amazing, but I'm sure that any location will be beautiful and the experience useful!

      Delete
  2. It sucks that you can't be out in the field right now, but you've got your whole life ahead of you! For now, rest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn. I was just so ready to start moving forward again with my life and now it seems that I'm at a standstill again. It's quite frustrating.

      Delete

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License