The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Silent Summer


The heat wave has since broken, to be replaced by an ambiance reminiscent of autumn, complete with the scent of a hearth fire wafting through the air.  Occasionally, the sun peeps through the thick, graying clouds, while a fresh breeze ushers them along, initiating a rustling of leaves. 

Yet, the birds do not stir as they did a few weeks ago, during early summer.  It seems still too soon for migration to begin, but they must have gone somewhere.  The Yellowhammers’ requests for “one piece of bread with no cheese” have become fewer, perhaps tiring of the same bland meal.  The spirited call and answer of the Great Tits have become more infrequent.  Just yesterday, I spotted the first individual that I’ve seen in weeks.  I admit that I haven’t been out and about much recently, but the Yellowhammers and the Great Tits, in particular, could once be heard through the open bedroom window or from the doorstep. 

The Barn Swallows, on the other hand, have doubled their numbers, which, they may use to intimidate the other birds away from their turf, as they congregate upon the telephone lines, just next to the hostel’s driveway.  A few days ago, they were holding parties as wild as those had by the college students, who were counting singing male Aquatic Warblers, with droves of them twirling and swooping through the air, chattering endlessly.  Yet, even yesterday, they seem to have hunkered down, being partied out.

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me miss my days of bird watching! Hope all is well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then get back out there! Did you get out to see the birds on your trip? Things are going as well as they probably can at the moment. I'm trying to plan my next move.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License