The purpose of my blog is to share my life lessons and travel experiences that may encourage others to follow their dreams, relate to those who have encountered similar situations, and provide a means for individuals to live vicariously through my adventures!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Delusions

I seem to have delusions as to how quick of a learner I am.  I tend to believe that I should immediately be proficient at a task, as I also have little patience for my own learning curve.  I’ve noticed a trend that upon entering internships, I begin to stress out very quickly and become incredibly critical of myself if I cannot comprehend or perform every aspect of the position and project in which I am involved.  I often compare myself to others, neglecting to consider that their more extensive training and educational backgrounds provide them with an advantage. 

I feel like I should know more than I do and I start to question what exactly I am proficient in that I can contribute.  I’ve dabbled little in several fields, but not enough to really develop functional skill sets, especially with no practice or reinforcement in between internships.  This is another reason why I am ready to find a focus so that I can consistently build my competencies, apply them, and work towards a more concrete, long-term goal.  Currently, I am aimlessly wandering; hoping that the internships I try based on the leads that I have identified will guide me to my passion.

It’s been frustrating coming into this internship at the end of the season, as I feel quite lost during project related discussions, as though I have missed important pieces of information during the development of the project.  There’s been a lot to try to wrap my head around and I struggle to learn the concepts and skills being taught to the students, who arrive for the field intensive course each week. 

I need to take it easy on myself.  I shouldn’t panic, berate myself, or try to escape.  I need to just do and throw caution to the wind, in a sense.  Stop worrying about what I will do wrong, and instead, focus on just learning the task at hand and enjoy it.  I can’t master any of this in a month.  It’s just not possible.  I need to do the best that I can with the most positivity that I can muster.

3 comments:

  1. Take it a little easier on yourself :) you're doing an amazing thing and you should never forget that. Live in the moment and rejoice in the fact that you're doing something that so few people get to experience. You're an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Keith. I know that I'm overly critical of myself, but that's only the first step towards remedying the problem. I don't usually seem to remember any of this until after I get myself stressed out, and then I have to back track. I'll be working on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a process. I used to be extremely critical of myself but over time I kind of trained my self to think in different ways, if that makes sense. I'm loving your blog and I can't wait until your next post!

      Delete

Creative Commons License
Current Occupation: Volunteer by volunteerann1@gmail.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License